Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2012

Book Review: Inkheart

Inkheart (Inkheart #1)
by Cornelia Funke

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure
Publication: 2008 (first published September 2003)
Format: Paperback, 543 pages

I watched the movie years ago and I love it. When I found out that the movie was based on a book, naturally, I have to find out about the book, and read it. The movie and the book version are totally different.

Years ago, something happened when Mo reads aloud from Inkheart. The character; Dustfinger, Capricorn and Basta came out from the book and his wife, Teresa went in. Mo founds out that he have a gift to make the story and characters comes to life when he reads aloud. He never wants to read aloud from a book ever again.

It has been 9 years since then. Mo is now living with his 12 years old daughter, Meggie as he works as a book doctor. One day, Dustfinger appeared to warn him that Capricorn was looking for him. Now the three of them run away to hide with Elinor, Teresa’s aunt. But Capricorn men found him. In order to save Meggie, Mo went with Capricorn’s men. Now, Meggie with Elinor and Dustfinger is going after Mo to save him. And Meggie started to learn things that her father been hiding from her for years – her mother’s whereabouts and her father’s ability.

I love the idea of Inkheart where the characters from a book come to life. I bet lots of readers dreamed of their favorite character come to life. I know I did. It was a very exciting idea.

Inkheart suck me in from the very beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed Meggie and his father adventure to rescue each other. I adore the father-daughter relationship. The middle of the story was a bit slow. But I’m glad that the ending picked up its pace. I love that the ending was not written in rush.  I could see that the author, Cornelia Funke had planned the story very carefully.

The only thing that I regret is that I watched the movie to refresh my memory in the middle of reading. I really shouldn’t do that next time. Anyhow, I’m really excited to read Inkspell next! I wonder what the author had to offer in the next book. I hope it is as exciting as the first one.


Book Cover’s Description
Imagine it were possible to bring the characters from a book to life. Not like when someone reads a book with such enchantment that the characters seem to jump off the pages and into your bedroom...but for real. Imagine they could actually climb out of the pages and into our world.

Then, imagine if those characters brought their world into ours.

One cruel night, young Meggie's father, Mo, reads aloud from Inkheart and an evil ruler named Capricorn escapes the boundaries of fiction and lands in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is smack in the middle of the kind of adventure she has only read about in books.

Somehow, Meggie and Mo must learn to harness the magic that conjured this nightmare. Somehow they must change the course of the story that has changed their lives forever.

This is Inkheart, a timeless tale about books, about imagination, about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...