Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Book Review: The Selection

The Selection (The Selection #1)
by Kiera Cass

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult
Publication: April 24th 2012 by Harper Collins USA
Format: Paperback, International, 352 pages
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
To tell the truth I picked up the book because of the cover, wondering why on earth is the girl smelling her armpits. Then I read the summary that instantly reminds me to a fanfiction I read years ago. It sounded a bit familiar with princess competing to win the heart of certain prince. I decided to give The Selection by Kiera Cass a try.

The Selection, in my opinion focused more on developing the relationship between America and Prince Maxon. Of course, there are a few scenes with the rebel attack to the palace which got me really curious. I wasn’t really fond of America. I mean she loves Aspen and was heartbroken when he broke up with her. America obviously is starting to like Prince Maxon a little bit as she gets to know him. But when Aspen showed up again into her life, she wavered. Then there’s the part where she wanted Prince Maxon to be her friend, but get really jealous when Maxon spend his time with the other candidates without her knowing. It was a bit frustrating.

If I have to compare between The Selection and that fanfiction I read years ago, I would say that the fanfiction definitely better in characterizations and plot. But still, I would read the continuation of the selection, The Elite, just to find out about the rebel attacks – what was really happening, why are they attacking the palace and what is it about the country’s history?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...