Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Review: Firelight

Firelight (Firelight #1)
by Sophie Jordan
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult
Publication: first published September 2010
Format: Paperback, 323 pages

When I first read the synopsis to Firelight, I get excited. Dragons! Okay. How many dragon stories have we seen around? Not much, I think.

Jacinda is a ‘draki’, a descendant of dragon who could shape-shift into human form. The draki were to stay hidden from human to protect themselves or they will be capture and kill by the hunters. Jacinda is special among her pride. She can breathe fire, an ability which is thought to be extinct among draki. It was Jacinda rebellious act that broke the rules that that pushed her mom to take her and her sister, Tamra away from the pride. They went to this town in the desert to stay hidden. That’s where she found Will, a hunter that hunts her kind for their skins, bones and such.

The thing about this book is that, I’m not entirely sure whether I like it or not. Let’s start with the character first, Jacinda. She sounded so brave and powerful in the first few chapters. But then, she started to sounds a bit irritating and selfish. And her sister, Tamra is a little bit too annoying for my taste. I don’t think I enjoy the withdrawing and pushing in relationship between Jacinda and Will. I understand that they were having conflict to stick together for what they are – their forbidden relationship, but, I think I saw too much of this kind of love story that, well, I don’t feel that there’s something different, unique about it.

But still, Firelight isn’t that bad. I definitely enjoy the world of draki in Firelight with the dragons and everything. The writing is nice and easy to follow. I can’t believe I read this one in a day! It has a nice flow that keeps me flipping the pages to know what will become of Jacinda and Will. But then... THE ENDING! I can’t believe that it would end like that. I guess I’ll have to read the continuation to find out about Jacinda and Will. From sneaking a peek from the next book, it sounds like something interesting will happen to Tamra. I’m looking forward to read Vanish soon!


Book Cover’s Description


A hidden truth.

Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki--the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda's rebelliousness forces her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is the gorgeous, elusive Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can't resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she's risking not only her life but the draki's most closely guarded secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...