Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Review: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter #1)
by Megan Shepherd 

Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Publication: January, 2013 by Balzer + Bray
Format: Paperback, 420 pages
Source: Own
Connect: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London, working as a maid and trying to forget the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumours about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he's alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she's determined to find out if the accusations were true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward, Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the secret of her father's new life: He experiments on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans.

Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius - and madness - in her own blood.
The Madman’s Daughter was not the kind of book that I usually read. I didn’t read a lot of horror and I'm not really a fan. But once I see the cover of The Madman's Daughter, and read the synopsis, I knew that I wanted to give this book a try.

Juliet Moreau worked as a cleaning maid in a medical school after her father’s scandal and her mother’s death. When she saw one of her father’s diagrams, she began to investigate it, hoping that her father has returned to London. But she met Montgomery, a servant boy from her childhood. Juliet then convinced Montgomery to take her to her father.

This story was supposed to be inspired by The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells. I haven’t read or seen the movie yet. But The Madman’s Daughter was definitely a great read. I like Megan Shepherd’s writing. I admit that I wasn’t really into the book at first. I’m not into horror, and that thing with that rabbit at the beginning was disgusting (poor rabbit!). Besides, I think that the pace was a bit slow for my liking. But after a while, it was hard to put down the book. I’m shocked to find out what Juliet father did on the island. But I love the mysterious surrounding around the island and I am very curious to know what was going to happen to everyone. 

There was a twist at the end of the book that I did not expect. But I still like the book (more than I think I would). I can’t wait to read the next book and find out what will happen to Juliet, next. I would recommend this book to horror/mystery lovers.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...