Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
by Tahereh Mafi

Genre:  Dystopia, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult
Publication: October 2012 by HarperCollins
Format: Paperback, 340 pages
Author:  Website, Twitter, Facebook
I have a curse. I have a gift. I'm a monster. I'm more than human.My touch is lethal. My touch is power. I am their weapon. I will fight back.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time--and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a riveting dystopian world, a thrilling superhero story, and an unforgettable heroine.

I’m not really sure what I felt about this book. I didn’t dislike it, but I don’t really enjoy it either. Shatter Me is a story of Juliette, who was imprison because of her power—her touch can be fatal. Her life gradually changed when she was given a cellmate, a boy named Adam. Juliette soon founds out that the reestablishment has plans to use her power as their weapon.

I was intrigued by Tahereh Mafi’s writing style at first. It was interesting to see how Juliette’s unwanted thought got crossed out. Tahereh Mafi’s way with words is unique. But then I got impatient and slowly got annoyed with the writing style. The story pace is a little bit slow to my liking. I think the story finally caught my interest again once it got to the very last page. Why? Because Juliette in my opinion, sounds like a weak heroine. It wasn’t until the last page that I feel that she has gotten a bit stronger.

Overall, Shatter Me is an okay book. Like I said, I didn’t really enjoy it. But still, I will be checking out the next book of the series because I wanted to see how ready and stronger Juliette has become.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...