Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2016

#BookReview The Semester of Our Discontent by Cynthia Kuhn

The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Mystery #1)
by Cynthia Kuhn

Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publication: April 5th, 2016
Format: ebooks
Source: NetGalley/Henery Press
Connect: Website | Twitter | FacebookGoodreads
English professor Lila Maclean is thrilled about her new job at prestigious Stonedale University, until she finds one of her colleagues dead. She soon learns that everyone, from the chancellor to the detective working the case, believes Lila—or someone she is protecting—may be responsible for the horrific event, so she assigns herself the task of identifying the killer.

More attacks on professors follow, the only connection a curious symbol at each of the crime scenes. Putting her scholarly skills to the test, Lila gathers evidence, but her search is complicated by an unexpected nemesis, a suspicious investigator, and an ominous secret society. Rather than earning an “A” for effort, she receives a threat featuring the mysterious emblem and must act quickly to avoid failing her assignment…and becoming the next victim.

When I read the description from the book, I know I wanted to read this. It was the first time I read a mystery book surrounding an English professor in a university and I was intrigued!

The Semester of Our Discontent by Cynthia Kuhn is undoubtedly a good cozy mystery book. I love the premises and the mystery.  I like Lila's approach in her investigation. Her curiosity to find out the real culprit and the strange emblem, and the determination to free her and her cousin as the suspect were great. Although, somehow, she was always the person who would accidentally be at the crime scene. I like how the characters would have a conversation about authors, but sadly, I have never heard of most of the authors mentioned.

I thought the author did a good job with the plot and mystery. But I was a bit disappointed with how the culprit was revealed, especially since there was no hint that pointed Lila suspecting the culprit, even just a little bit until the end. I know that sometimes people would commit a crime with motives that I couldn't comprehend, but I have to say that the motive to attempt another murder towards the end of the book was a bit crazy. Overall, I thought that The Semester of Our Discontent was a good read. I did enjoy the book, but I wish the revealing of the whodunit could be better. 

I received a copy of this book from the Netgalley & Henery Press in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...