Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
by Michelle Hodkin

Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult
Publication: September 2011
Format: Hardcover, 452 pages
Source: Own
Connect: Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Tumblr | Website
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.

I didn’t think that the synopsis is giving out too much about what The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was all about. I guess it was a bit mysterious but it didn’t really catch my interest to read the book. Fortunately the cover was gorgeous and I found a copy (a hardcover) on sale. I bought it and decided to read it due to many positive reviews from friends.

Mara Jade survived in a terrible tragedy while her best friend, her boyfriend and his sister did not. Then her family decided to move to help Mara recover her traumatic experience even though Mara Jade has no recollection of what happened. Mara met a new friend, Jamie and a cute boy in her new school, Noah Wade. But Mara was starting to have hallucinations where she saw her dead friends.

I do think that the author was very good in creating a suspenseful, mysterious atmosphere. I can’t put the book down. I wanted to know what happen to Mara and what will happen to her next. I wanted to know how she survives the tragedy and why does she keep seeing her dead friends? The book was well written. It has a nice plot with a little twist that I didn’t expect and moments that make me shivers as well as laugh out loud. I’m really glad that I read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I would totally recommend this one to anyone who love reading paranormal YA with a hint of mystery, romance and humor.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...