Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Review: Ink by Amanda Sun

Ink (Paper Gods #1)
by Amanda Sun

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult
Publication: June 25th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Format: ebooks
Source: NetGalley
Author:  Website, Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads
INK IS IN THEIR BLOOD.

On the heels of a family tragedy, Katie Greene must move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn't know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can't seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

When Katie meets aloof but gorgeous Tomohiro, the star of the school's kendo team, she is intrigued by him...and a little scared. His tough attitude seems meant to keep her at a distance, and when they're near each other, strange things happen. Pens explode. Ink drips from nowhere. And unless Katie is seeing things, drawings come to life.

Somehow Tomo is connected to the Kami, powerful ancient beings who once ruled Japan-and as feelings develop between Katie and Tomo, things begin to spiral out of control. The wrong people are starting to ask questions, and if they discover the truth, no one will be safe.

When Katie lost her mother, she had no choice but to move in with her aunt, Diane in Japan as her grandfather was battling cancer and had no way to look after her.  It all started when Katie accidentally eavesdropped to an argument between Tomohiro and Myu. Katie saw a drawing from Tomohiro’s sketchbook, and was surprised when the drawing moved! Katie was intrigued by him and she wanted to know the truth—how was it possible that the drawing can move? But strange things began to happen when she gets closer to Tomohiro. And as she began to learn the truth about Tomohiro and Kami (gods), Katie learnt that her life was now in danger. 

When I read the synopsis of Ink by Amanda Sun, I knew that I have to read it. I am a fan of Japanese culture and I was lucky to be received the arc through NetGalley. Of course, I didn’t expect to like the book so much. Katie sounded like the typical heroine who had to deal with a new environment when she moved from America to Japan and what with her romance interest who had a dangerous secret. But what makes me love this book despite some cliché is that the author had done a great job with mixing the story with Japanese culture. I love how the characters sounded Japanese instead of some Japanese wannabe.

I love the story with the drawing comes to life as I’ve never come across stories like this before. The plot building and suspense were really good. Ink was a mixture of thriller, fantasy, romance and a little bit of humor. I love both Katie and Tomohiro. I love their connection.  Their relationship sounded like something I would usually read out of a shoujo manga. Their relationship was sweet and adorable, although most of the times they teased each other a lot. I found myself giggling and kyaaa-ing (or what you call a fangirling moment) a lot, after watching how their relationship developed.

Ink is definitely one of the best Young Adult I’ve read. I love it so much that I am planing to purchase myself a physical book so that I can adore the beautiful cover for as long as I wanted to and enjoy the smell of the papers while I re-read the story all over again. And after that ending, I just can’t wait for the next book!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...