Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Book Review: Talisman of El

Talisman of El (Talisman of El #1)
by Alecia Stone

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Young Adult, Paranormal
Publication: May 20th 2012
Format: ebook, 251 pages

WHAT IF YOUR WHOLE LIFE WAS A LIE?

One Planet.

Two Worlds.

Population: Human ... 7 billion.

Others ... unknown.

When 14-year-old Charlie Blake wakes up sweating and gasping for air in the middle of the night, he knows it is happening again. This time he witnesses a brutal murder. He's afraid to tell any one. No one would believe him ... because it was a dream. Just like the one he had four years ago - the day before his dad died.

Charlie doesn't know why this is happening. He would give any thing to have an ordinary life. The problem: he doesn't belong in the world he knows as home. He belongs with the others.

Charlie is an orphan who has been from home to home. And now, he’s living with his foster parent, Jacob. Things were pretty okay as he live with Jacob. He made a few enemies and friends, Alex and Richmond. That is it until Jacob begins to show his true colors.

Charlie also had a secret. He had dreams that appears vivid to him. When he Derkein, a man that appears in his dream, he knew that the dreams were real. Charlie and his friends, Alex and Richmond than discovers another world as they were trying to save Derkien from death while escaping from Jacob. Along their adventure, Charlie discovers that he wasn’t really who he thought he is.

Talisman of El is a fantasy, adventure young adult books with a bit of magic and mythology. The book started out pretty good. I was hooked with the story when I learned about Charlie and his dreams – that he can see the past. But once Charlie and his friends entered the Arcadia, I started to lose my interest. I have to admit that I’ve put down the book once, before I decided to give it another try. I think that the middle part was kinda confusing, especially when the characters from Arcadian entered the story. I have a hard time focusing on who’s who. Some of the actions and Arcadian's scenery confused me. I had to reread a few scenes twice to know what was happening. In the end, I get bored, and started to skimming around. There are some parts where the dialogue seems awkward and some humors that didn’t quite suit the scenes. I also thought that Charlie and the relationship between other characters were a bit unnatural. I think it would be great if the author could spend more time developing their friendship. 

Overall, Talisman of El was an okay book. I think I enjoyed the starting and the ending. (I really like the ending!) It had potential to be more than that, but I guess, it wasn’t really my taste. Perhaps teens would find this book enjoyable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...