Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Book Review: American Gods


Title: American Gods
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy
Publication: 2003
Rating: 3/5


Shadow is a man with a past. But now he wants nothing more than to live a quiet life with his wife and stay out of trouble. Until he learns that she's been killed in a terrible accident.

Flying home for the funeral, as a violent storm rocks the plane, a strange man in the seat next to him introduces himself. The man calls himself Mr. Wednesday, and he knows more about Shadow than is possible.

He warns Shadow that a far bigger storm is coming. And from that moment on, nothing will ever he the same...

Neil Gaiman's American Gods was probably the strangest book I have ever bought. It wasn't the genre I read. But I decided to give it a try when I saw many people went crazy for Neil Gaiman a few years ago. The thing is, I bought this copy in 2005. I read it halfway up to the part where they were talking about tiger balls. I picked up this book again two weeks ago, and decided to give it a try.

This is my first Neil Gaiman book. I was searching for Stardust, but the book was out of stock. So, I decided to give this one a try. The first part was interesting. But it get a bit confusing after a while. There were lots of characters. And I had a hard time keeping up with what is happening when the scene changed a few times, There were times where I questioned why certain characters were there. They didn't seem important. Some scene makes me wonder if the story strayed from its point.

It was a long read. But it was also a page turner. What makes me continue to finish this book was to find out what happened to Shadow. Neil Gaiman is a talented writer and I enjoyed his writing style and narration throughout the book. I might give his other books a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...